Monday, December 29, 2008

Retreat, Day 3 - 7:30 PM Human Nature

My notes written after the preached meditation on Saturday, November 15, 2008, at 7:30 PM:


Who are "we"? Who is it that Jesus desires such a friendship with? We have a soul and a body - our body being in integral part of ourselves. Hence the need for purity. What we do with our bodies matters. With our fallen nature we can be pure only by struggle and God's grace; but (with struggle and God's grace) we can be pure.

But who am I really? I am "I", me; "I" is the thing that is self-aware. The "I" is the life force - the animator - of the body. The "I" continues after the body is gone. "I" is eternal.

The "I" has a power of knowing - a rational intellect. With the "I"'s intellect, I can know the good and discern between good and evil. I am responsible for my intellect.

The "I" has a will with which to choose the good. I am responsible for choosing - to choose that which is good and virtuous, and reject the evil and vicious. I must train and strengthen the will and point it to the virtuous.

The "I" has appetites and passions. These are goods. Our appetite for food and drink maintains our body. Our appetite for sexual pleasure maintains the human race. I am responsible for my appetites - to keep them in proper bounds. My sexual appetite is the instrument of holy matrimony to bring new life on the earth and bring that life to the height of sanctity.

The "I" has feelings and emotions. These are goods. Our feelings draw us to the good and pleasurable and pull us away from harm. I am responsible for my feelings. My feelings and emotions are like a pack of wild dogs that I must master. Dogs are wonderful! Dogs are treasures indeed. But if they control you - if they slip off the leash and run wild - what a mess!

The "I" has a memory. I am responsible for my memory - to recall to memory only that which leads to virtue. I should recall a hurt only long enough to pray for the people involved. I recall a past sin only long enough to renew my sorrow, or decide whether it needs to be confessed.

The "I" has five senses by which it learns about the world. I am responsible for the sense impressions I let in.

The "I" has an imagination which considers the input of the senses and can augment them - invent sights, sounds that the eye has not seen nor the ear heard. I am responsible for my imagination.

These are the aspects of my self - who I am. I am called to Christian self-mastery over the whole.

Certainly not least - the "I" has the grace of God, an indwelling of the Holy Spirit - so long as I do not reject Him.

No comments: