Thursday, April 23, 2009

Perseverance, patience, and fortitude

My career is organized into projects. I'm a consultant, so I join a project, work for a while, then leave. At some point in every project I become fully aware of all the irrationality, inefficiency, venality, incompetence, goldbricking, and laziness inherent in every large consulting project. I am at this point in my current project! Historically, this is when I get disgusted and leave. Things are different now; maybe maturity comes to us all, even me. Consider:

  • Every other project is also riddled with irrationality, inefficiency, venality, incompetence, goldbricking, and laziness
  • I myself from time to time exhibit these same vices; hopefully not so much venality and incompetence, certainly most of the others
  • Every project, even this one, also has clear thinking, productivity, prudence, competence, solid engineering, and hard work

In short, any place I go is likely to have the same problems (and same benefits) as here. There is no point in leaving!

So if I'm going to stick around, I should strive to make the project successful. Here is where the fortitude comes in. It's easy to keep working hard at what I've always done and wait for the project to fail (I still haven't decided whether the project has a Cloud of Doom). It's harder to think through what has to be done for the project to succeed, and what I can do to make it happen. Thinking more than a week or so in the future is a new thing for me...

No comments: