Sunday, November 23, 2008

Retreat, Day 2 - 8:40 AM

My notes after the first preached meditation at my retreat, given at 8:40 AM on Friday (day 2):


Grow in God - in knowledge of Him, in understanding and love. We can always know, love, and serve God better - we can always grow in Him. God is my Father - directly and personally, most interested in me - He lives in my soul, so long as I don't evict Him by mortal sin. God never abuses our freedom... Trust in God - negativity and unhappiness are signs of something - lack of faith? Lack of trust in God? God's providence and will are what counts.

Remember the parable of the invited guests who chose to look after their cow - their farm - their bride instead of attending the banquet. Do not let material comfort or the press of life lull you into slumber, or passivity. Remember divine filiation - you are a son of God.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If God is living in someone I would assume that that person is a Christian (What fellowship has light with darkness?), therefore my question is how can a Christian evict the indwelling Holy spirit seeing as how Christians are sealed by the Holy Spirit?

David Miller said...

How to evict the indwelling Holy Spirit: it is all too easy. Say: "God, I spit on you and your gifts, I reject your fatherhood, and I turn my back on you." Then God, who does not possess us against our will like the demons do, will withdraw His infused grace from our soul. Should you repent, you say, "God, I'm sorry for turning my back on you. Please come back into my life."

[Nitpicker's corner: the above formulas are figures of speech referring to the actions of grave sin and repentance.]

Anonymous said...

Once a believer is sealed by the Holy Spirit, it is impossible for that person to "unseal" themselves. This is my point. See the following verses: Ephesians 1:13, Ephesians 4:30, 2 Corinthians 1:20-22, John 6:26-27.

David Miller said...

Your phrase "sealed by the Holy Spirit" seems to refer to the sacrament of Confirmation which is in fact irreversible; once confirmed you can never be unconfirmed. Confirmation seals the confirmandi with the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Mortal sin is a different concept than being "unsealed" or "unconfirmed" (these last two concepts are hard to refer to since they refer to nothing real). Mortal sin is choosing yourself as your final end. More formally it is choosing a final end different from God; for most people this final-end-that-is-not-God ends up being themselves. Choosing temporal goods over the uncreated God is the essence of mortal sin.

Philippians 2:12 may apply ("Wherefore, my dearly beloved, (as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but much more now in my absence,) with fear and trembling work out your salvation.").

Totus Tuus Ministries has what looks like a good article debunking "once saved, always saved."