Thursday, May 14, 2009

5/8/77 Cornell University


The Grateful Dead's concert on May 8, 1977 at Cornell University is widely regarded as the best ever. Mostly because of this show's impact on the tape trader community at the time. This show was the first high quality soundboard tape that got into wide circulation and really changed the entire Grateful Dead community.

So I downloaded the show from etree... etree has most all the GD concerts. It's the first time I downloaded a community-hosted show vice ordering from dead.net. Pretty easy all in all - the download comes in Shorten format, and the shn2make tool easily unpacks the Shorten files onto CD-R discs, complete with CD-Text.

It is, in fact, a very good show... May 1977 is about as good as it gets. But I prefer the Closing of Winterland concert on 12/31/78, and there's a couple other in my collection I like more. It is comforting to know that etree basically has as many concerts as I can stand to download... No worries about running out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is one of the best shows of all time--no doubt... scarlet-to fire is amazing--- jerry's solo is second to none.... top top top show.... peace.