Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Standing down


Tonight my Knights of Columbus council had the annual election of officers for the next fraternal year (which starts July 1). For the last 9 years I've been on the slate of incoming officers. This year breaks the streak - starting July 1 I will not be an officer in my council.

9 years ago I was a liberal Democrat cafeteria Catholic; while not so pro-death as our current President I was certainly not truly pro-life. Today I'm a life-voting orthodox Catholic. My experience as a Knights officer was part of this growth...

3 years ago my term as Grand Knight (chief officer of the council) was ending. My year as Grand Knight was very difficult for me personally; when my term started I was very active and gung-ho; at the end I was embittered and on my way to ending my involvement in the council programs. Even so, this experience was basically a good thing. Considering all that happened that year and contemplating exactly why I reacted so negatively taught me a lot about myself and how I affect other people and how they affect me.

So - I don't regret my time as an officer, but I would never repeat it!

No comments: