Friday, May 8, 2009

The need to excel vs. fortitude

All my life I've wanted to do everything the way it should be done, and do it well. They aren't quite the same thing. The first part is to do things the way they should be done - by the book. In fact, the main way I learn new things is to read the classic book on the topic. The second part is to do things very well. From making popcorn to implementing customer requirements, I want to do it right, and do it well.

This approach is a big factor in whatever success I've had in life. To this day I still don't understand how people can put their names on work they know isn't very good. I still remember the shock when I realized it didn't bother my stepchildren to turn in shoddy homework, or even not turn in the homework at all.

But life is a hard problem, and any approach that gives you strength in some ways, makes you weaker than others. My weakness is fear to take on things where I might not succeed. When confronted with tasks that could well be beyond my abilities, I tend to freeze or become passive-aggressive.

This is where fortitude comes into play. Fortitude is the virtue that gives us the courage and energy to tackle problems that could overwhelm us. Josef Pieper's book on the four cardinal virtues includes an excellent, even life-changing, discussion of fortitude.

So with fortitude (one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit) to give me strength, and faith and trust in God to give me peace of mind, I hope to be more willing to try new things and very difficult things.

No comments: